Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Assignment #1: write-up

This project actually seemed to go pretty smoothly. I felt that by staying closer to my actual person it took less effort to act and I was more consistent. I think at times however it would have been nice if I had more time to rehearse my lines, or even better, to find a different actor. Because I had to focus on directing the shot, setting up the scene, getting the lighting right, getting the outfit right and getting the dialogue right (while simultaneously thinking about how all of the shots were going to link together in post production) I sacrificed a little bit of the quality of each. Lesson 1: get as many people as you can to help you. While I had Jess and Ted to help manage the shots, because I was acting as well my brain processes were divided.

The other major issue I had was due to the limited capabilities of the camera. When using the flip cam two major restrictions apply; 1) it has very limited audio capabilities and no mic hook up, and 2) It has no white balance or other way to adjust for different types of lighting. As such Some of the darker shots lost some of their saturation and become a little grainy, which was compensated for, unfortunately, but adding noise to the cleaner shots.

But all in all, in good light with static focus shots the flip cam is great and produces a wonderful quality picture and as long as you are close enough to the camera (and don't have a lot of background noise) it can pick you up clearly. I think if I were to change anything about this product I would have taken more time to clean up and perfect the dialogue and worked on getting a clear picture (although to some extent the added graininess works aesthetically with the nature of the piece, it just wasn't intended.)

No comments:

Post a Comment